How did we get started?

 

In April 1958, a group of interested families met to form a new church to serve in the growing northeast section of Ponca City.  The District Board of Missions purchased a three–acre lot at Pecan Road and East Hartford in  December 1958.  The group of thirty-three families voted the official name of the church as St. Paul’s Methodist Church in April 1959.

The first Quarterly Conference, May 7, 1959, elected officers, approved the budget, and finalized plans to use Woodland’s Elementary School as a place to meet.  A full-time pastor was assigned by June.  During the same month, the Board of Trustees rented a home as the parsonage.

The Rev. Don Bradford received 36 families totaling 72 members into the church at the first service on June 7, 1959.

Consecration services for our first church building, now the educational building, were held September 23, 1962.  The pastor’s family moved into the newly-purchased parsonage in September 1963.  The  charter for Boy Scout Troop 56 was signed in October 1963.

In 1983 a new parsonage was purchased using individual contributions by church members, other available funds, the proceeds from the sale of the first parsonage, and a modest bank loan.  The Memorial Committee provided stained glass windows for the sanctuary in February 1984.

The education and church office have been expanded twice as well as the parking lots. Plans for our newest project were underway by Fall of 1999.  Growth has been steady.  Celebration of St. Paul’s 25th  Anniversary coincided with the denomination’s 200th Anniversary in 1984.

In December of 2000, St. Paul’s finished construction on the most extensive building program in our history.  The project called for a new sanctuary, classrooms, kitchen, fellowship hall expansion, nursery, youth  facilities, music, rehearsal rooms, library, elevator, parking and restroom  facilities.  The plan made the building fully accessible, easier to get around and more flexible for use by multiple groups and larger meetings.  We are now able to start new groups, expand our music programs, and  expand space in our sanctuary.

The congregation committed $1.2 million toward the effort.  This, along with about $300,000 cash on hand, allowed us to build with a minimum of debt so that we can keep focus on staffing our ministry and supporting our missions.  This loan was retired and St. Paul’s commemorated it with a mortgage burning celebration in June of 2012.